- Service that connects an on-premisses software appliance with cloud-based storage to provide seamless and secure integration between an organization’s on-premises IT environment and AWS’s storage infrastructure. The service enables you to securely store data to the AWS cloud for scalable and cost-effective storage.
- VMWare & HyperV
Four types of Storage Gateway
- File Gateway (NFS)
- Volume Gateway (iSCSI)
- Stored Volumes
- Cached Volumes
Tape Gateway (VTL)
- File Gateway
Files are stored as objects in your S3 buckets, access through NFS. Ownership, permissions, and timestamps are durable stored in S3 in the user-metadata of the object associated with the file. Once objects are transferred to S3, they can be managed as native S3 objects, and bucket polices such as versioning, lifecycle management, and cross-region replication apply directly to objects stored in your bucket.
- Volume Gateway
- The volume interface presents your applications with disk volumes using the iSCSI block protocol.
- Data written to these volumes can be asynchronously backed up as point-in-time snapshots of your volumes, and stored in the cloud as EBS snapshots.
Snapshots are incremental backups that capture only changed blocks. All snapshot storage is also compressed to minimize your storage charges.
- Stored volumes
Stored volumes let you store your primary data locally, while asynchronously backing up that data to AWS. Stored volumes provide your on-premises applications with low-latency access to their entire datasets, while providing durable, off-site backups. You can create storage volumes and mount them as iSCSI devices from your on-premises application servers. Data written to your stored volumes is stored on your on-premises storage hardware. This data is asynchronously backed up to Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) in the form of Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS) snapshots. 1 GB - 16 TB in size for stored Volumes.
- Cached Volumes
Cached volumes let you use S3 as your primary data storage while retaining frequently accessed data locally in your storage gateway. 1GB - 32TB
- Tape Gateway
- Virtual tapes sent to S3
- File Gateway - For flat files, stored directly on S3.
- Volume Gateway:
- Stored Volumes - Entire Dataset is stored on site and is asynchronously backed up to S3.
- Cached Volumes - Entire Dataset is stored on S3 and the most frequently accessed data is cached on site.
- Gateway Virtual Tape Library (VTL)
- Used for backup and uses popular backup applications like NetBackup, Backup Exec, Veeam etc.