A Cloud Guru - Certified Solutions Architect Associate - AMI Types
You can select your AMI based on:
- Operating System
- Architecture (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Launch Permissions
- Storage for the Root Device (Root Device Volume)
- Instance Store (EPHEMERAL STORAGE)
- EBS Backed Volumes
EBS vs Instance Store
- All AMIs are categorized as either backed by EBS or Instance Store.
- EBS: The root device for an instance launched from the AMI is an EBS volume created from an EBS snapshot.
- Instance Store Volumes: The root device for an instance launched from the AMI is an instance store volume created from a template stored in S3.
- Instance Store Volumes are sometimes called Ephemeral Storage.
- Instance store Volumes cannot be stopped. If the underlying host fails, you lose your data.
- EBS backed instances can be stopped. You will not lose the data on this instance if it is stopped.
- You can reboot both, you will not lose your data.
- By default, both ROOT volumes will be deleted on termination, however with EBS volumes, you can tell AWS to keep the root device volume.